Between 1992 and 1994, Albert Lafferty, a Métis resident of Fort Providence, investigated the site of a former cemetery located near Sacred Heart Residential School. The cemetery had been ploughed over in 1948 and used as a field. Working with the Roman Catholic Diocese in Yellowknife, and using ground-penetrating radar, Lafferty discovered the names of 298 community members buried there, 161 of them children from the nearby school. In July 2021, Deh Gáh Got’îê First Nation Chief Joachim Bonnetrouge, announced that the community was planning to undertake further investigation into the unmarked graves.
The Brandon Indian Residential School was a Canadian residential school for Indigenous children that operated from 1895 to 1972 in Brandon, Manitoba. It was run by the government and various religious organizations, including the Roman Catholic Church and the United Church of Canada.
The school was notorious for its harsh living conditions, physical and sexual abuse, and forced assimilation practices that aimed to strip Indigenous children of their cultural identities and language.
In recent years, the discovery of unmarked graves at former residential school sites, including one at the Brandon Indian Residential School, has heightened awareness of the trauma inflicted upon Indigenous peoples and sparked calls for justice and reconciliation.
Page 4 of 6